Nick Craig is a leadership expert, Fortune 500 consultant, and the President and Founder of the Core Leadership Institute (CLI). Over the past 10+ years, CLI has helped nearly 20,000 leaders discover their Purpose, the unique gift that they alone can bring to the world.
Nick’s expertise in Purposeful leadership has been sought out by both corporate and academic organizations ranging from Lego® and Ben & Jerry’s, to the United States Military Academy at West Point.
His insights from working with these organizations are captured in his book Leading From Purpose: Clarity and the Confidence to Act When it Matters Most. In the book, Nick shares unique stories from leaders across the globe and offers a method to find your own purpose.
Order your copy today: https://coreleader.com/leading-from-purpose/
In this episode Nick and I discuss:
- The “magic” that rearranged Brene Brown’s life
- The secret that created vaccines in record time
- The leadership test packaged in schweddy balls ice cream
- What Hollywood teaches us about the keys to the brand-marketing kingdom
- The super power hidden in a simple question
1) The importance of questions in framing the way we look at the world. Let’s shift from asking our kids, friends, and ourselves, “What do you want to be when you grow up, or what do you do?” Instead let’s ask “W hat is your purpose, what is your unique gift you want to share with the world?” This reframing unlocks a different way of looking at each other, and creates room for more of ourselves to exist.
2) The Latin root of the word “courage” is “cor” which means “connecting head to heart”. Purpose and courage are two sides of the same coin. They go hand and hand. Courage doesn’t show up without a purpose, and people who follow their purpose need courage to chart an uncharted path.
3) Ask yourself, how you want to spend this one beautiful life. Do you want to be a mapmaker, charting your own path? Or, do you want to spend your days following google maps, listening on autopilot to someone else’s instruction as you do what’s been done before?
- Core Leadership Institute
- Leading From Purpose: Clarity and the Confidence to Act When it Matters Most by Nick Craig
- “From Purpose to Impact”, Harvard Business Review, by Nick Craig
- True North: Discover Your Authentic Leadership by Bill George
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (free online version, or amazon)
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankel
- Soul: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
- “Purpose: Shifting from why to how”, McKinsey Quarterly