Amy Lesnick is the Chief Executive and President of Pledge 1%, a global movement to integrate social impact into the DNA of every company. Founded by tech luminaries such as Marc Benioff, the founder of Salesforce, and Scott Farquhar the co-founder of Atlassian, the Pledge 1% movement has rapidly grown to over 15,000 companies in +100 countries. In 2017, Fast Company named Pledge 1% the most innovative non-profit in the world.
With over 20 years of experience leading, scaling, and advising early-stage, high-growth ventures, Amy is a tech industry veteran. Amy’s previous experience includes, Full Circle Fund (CEO), Indiegogo (Head of Cause), McKinsey & Company, American Airlines/SABRE, and Netscape. Amy’s especially passionate about the intersection of technology and social change.
Note: Podcast was recorded on February 17, 2022, before the Ukraine-Russia war.
In this episode we discuss:
- The power of the compound effect in relation to social impact and business impact
- 5 significant trends influencing social impact
- How Pledge 1% ignited $2 Billion in new philanthropy in 2 years
- Creative ways that companies are contributing to Pledge 1% that leverage the core competency of their business
- The story of how Pledge 1% came to be reminded me of the Margaret Mead quote “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” We create change through actions, and change starts small, with one person deciding to take one action. Movements start when others follow their lead. Never doubt, with your intentional actions, you might just shape the future of the world for the better.
- A theme throughout the conversation was the amplified impact—or the force multiplier—of when multiple groups come together to create solutions. This could be breaking down silos across your organization and leveraging your organization’s core competency to develop a more holistic solution to impact. This could also be creating strategic partnerships with other organizations to make an even bigger impact than you could on your own. Look for opportunities to unify groups under a united vision.
- As a call to action from this episode, if your company doesn’t have an impact approach, consider suggesting Pledge 1% to your senior leaders. Share this episode with them. And as an individual, consider what making a personal 1% pledge might look like.
- Full Circle Fund
- Yelp’s Black-Owned business directory
- Information on the Postmates Food Fight! program
- Stanford StartX Accelerator
- Jefferson Awards page at Multiplying Good