Adrian Gore is the founder and CEO of Discovery Limited, which is revolutionizing insurance from a standardized transaction to a personalized consumer experience. Discovery combines behavioral economics and clinical science to encourage and reward members for exercising more, eating healthier, managing stress, and improving their health.
Discovery Limited is South Africa’s largest private health insurer and has expanded internationally through partnerships with local insurers. Using the same shared value approach rooted in data and behavioral science, Discovery has added additional services including life insurance, car insurance, and most recently banking services.
In this episode we discuss:
- The power of understanding what drives human behavior
- The 7 values that guide this multibillion-dollar company
- How a shared value approach helps people live longer while at the same time benefiting the bottom line
- Using gamification as a force for good
- Discovery Limited’s story does a great job of illustrating that, when the benefits to all stakeholders are clear and the model is scalable, business growth is enviable. Finding the aligned purpose across stakeholders is a winning formula for engagement and growth.
- The power of following a hunch. When you see a system that doesn’t benefit people as well as it could, and you see a path forward for a new approach, by trusting your hunch you might just revolutionize an industry, create a multibillion-dollar business, and impact millions of lives.
- That Discovery Limited’s purpose, to make people healthier, is their driving force. They still pay attention to everything needed to run a successful business, but the reason talent seeks them out, the reason they put in their effort and passion, is to support the purpose that’s integrated into the heart of the company. This is what makes them truly remarkable.