David Bronner is the CEO, or Cosmic Engagement Officer, for Dr. Bronner’s. Family-owned and run, Dr. Bronner’s makes socially & environmentally responsible products of the highest quality—all while dedicating their profits to help make a better world. David and the rest of the Bronner family are leaders that set an example of being human, and supporting humanity, at the core of everything they do.
You can learn more and keep up with what Dr. Bronner’s is doing by visiting their website.
In this episode we discuss
- How Dr. Bronner’s instigated a fight with the DEA over hemp, and won
- Why organic certification doesn’t go far enough
- The most effective tool we have for fighting climate change
- The cultural norm we’ll look back on as “cruel and unusual punishment”
- What Patagonia’s founder believes is required reading for those who are serious about transforming business to help save our home planet
- I’m reminded by the Margaret Mead quote “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” It’s incredible to see the impact this one company, Dr. Bronner’s, has made by committing to drive social and environmental change. Just imagine what the world would look like, if we all behaved as trusted stewards of the planet and humankind.
- As consumers, we can start demanding more than just organic. We can go further in our expectations of the food and products we bring into our homes. The ROA created the Regenerative Organic Certification by combining the best standards across soil health, animal welfare, and social fairness into a single certificate. With the objective to heal a broken system, repair a damaged planet, and empower farmers and eaters to create a better future through regenerative organic farming. Look out for the Regenerative Organic Certification on products you buy.
- The immense healing power in psychedelic therapy for PTSD, depression, anxiety and addiction. I’m very grateful for the support Dr. Bronner’s has put behind advocating for this cause. I’m also immensely grateful for the healing power psychedelic therapy had on me. Never forget the power of your own voice, to share your own story as a way to help shift the cultural conversation around psychedelic therapy or any other taboo topic. Also, never forget the power of your vote, to support causes you care about and create change.
- Dr. Bronner’s Six Cosmic Principles
- This case study examines codifying “steward-ownership” in Germany
- “All-One or All-None: A Conversation with David Bronner and Gero Leson.” Article in Los Angeles Review of Books by Ayize Jama-Everett. June 21, 2021
- Regeneration International’s page on Regenerative Agriculture
- Regenerative Organic Certification
- Rodale Institute
- Demeter biodynamic certification
- Compassion in World Farming animal welfare organization
- Fair World Project fair-trade organization
- A Greener World page on Animal Welfare Approved certification
- Global Animal Partnership animal welfare certification
- Honor Thy Label: Dr. Bronner’s Unconventional Journey to a Clean, Green, and Ethical Supply Chain by Gero Leson
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- The Compassionate Use Act (California Proposition 215)
- The Emperor Wears No Clothes by Jack Herer
- FDA page on Breakthrough Therapy designation
- Psilocybin Program Initiative (Oregon Measure 109)
- Campaign to Decriminalize Nature DC
- Drug Addiction Treatment and Recovery Act (Oregon Measure 110)
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic All-One Chocolate
- Theo Chocolate